Friday, July 06, 2007

Beaten into Submission

I absolutely detest telephones, both traditional land lines and cellular phones, and, other than a brief two year period, I have avoided using cell phones. I didn’t want to buy the cell phone when I did either but my situation at the time created a need for one. At that time I was separated from my wife, although we were not married at the time, and the cell phone made things easier, even though I rarely used it. When my wife finally moved to the area, I kept the phone active but I barely used it. Only about a year or so ago, I let my phone become inactive.

Now that I have a child in day care and I rely on public transit to get to and from work, the need for a cell phone is growing. Despite some train cancellations and delays in my first two weeks back to work, I refused to buy a new cell phone. Yesterday, after my baby’s temperature reached 103F (39.9C for us Canadians) and the day care was frantically trying to get him out of the centre, my wall of refusal has cracked. I was out of the office and did not get the message left by the day care so I was unaware of the situation when I picked my son up. This all occurred too late for us to pick him up any earlier than usual anyhow but it is a little disconcerting not knowing what is going on with my son.

On top of that issue, my wife and I do not see each other every day most weeks so it is hard to co-ordinate things and communicate any issues or share joyful events. She mentioned to me that I should have my phone activated or get a new one and at that time, I shot down the suggestion. Now, it is time for me to reconsider. ‘In the immortal words of the doors: The time to hesitate is through!’ (quote from Empire Records). Starting today I must commence my search for the best phone company and decide on the plan or prepaid service to use.

By the way, my wife took my son to a clinic last night and had his eyes, ears, nose, and throat checked out. Nothing seems awry in any of those. The doctor’s diagnosis is a common cold. My son is going to see one of our doctors today to confirm the first opinion (our doctor works in a clinic with three other doctors so it is a crap shoot as to which doctor we get to see).

2 comments:

Stinky T said...

Too bad you gotta be chained down again with a cell but understandable given the situation. The only positive (if that) thing about it is the slightly better phone plans we can enjoy with our employer. You can walk into the service provider stores, tell them who you work for and ask for their latest offers and promos. Good luck with that.

MagicalCoffeeCup said...

Yeah, what Stinky T said....it is a lot better than when you used to have your cell phone.
A cell phone can be a leash sometimes; but having little Alan running around, it looks like you're going to need it--even for your own peace of mind :)