Monday, July 16, 2007

I Went With A Virgin

Today, since I had the day off work, I went to purchase my new phone and as the title suggests I went with Virgin Mobile as my service provider. The sales person was quite helpful as well, unlike the lady who helped me the first time around with Bell. She did not push me towards any monthly plans but instead told me flat out that it is best not to get any plan if I am only using the phone in emergencies. I resisted the urge to highlight Bell's inadequacies here.

My wife wanted to update her phone so I set out to buy one for her too in hopes of striking some sort of multi-phone deal. I was prepared to reduce that to only one phone if there was no deal to be had and I was not treated appropriately. The sales associate made it quite clear that there was no deal to be had but since the rest of our interaction was as honest (and the phones were so cheap) I continued to buy the two. Each phone is the same model, however, one phone is all black while the other phone is white with a touch of black.

I left the kiosk happy with my purchase and excited that I didn't spend the anticiapted $500 for two phones when I spotted a jewelry store (I knew it was there, it was there on the way in too). Ordinarily a thought of buying something that sparkles for my wife would only flash through my mind but since I had a budgeted surplus after the phone purchase and I have been wanting to buy a locket for my wife for a few months now, I finally made the effort to do it. This time that thought took hold and next thing I know I am staring at a display of lockets trying to decide which one my wife would like best. I finally decided on what turned out to be the biggest one (big enough so the picture can be seen without magnification) and, with the budget all but consumed, I left the mall.

Once at home, I wasted no time in opening the phone, powering it up, activating it and playing around with it. Even though it is an object of my hatred, it was still fun to play around with a new toy. It has pained me all day not opening my wife's phone too. So far it has remained tauntingly in it's package beside the computer where I have spent about 75% of my day. The only thing holding back my urge is my stronger hatred of waste. My wife's current phone still has time on it so I want her to use that time up before her new phone is activated. The day is still young yet so anything may happen. So far I am pleased with my decision and I hope my view does not change.

1 comment:

MagicalCoffeeCup said...

What a great title!
So glad you got something for your wife too; I'm sure she was thrilled! Way to go my friend ;)