Wednesday, January 24, 2007

GO Trainisms

Since I didn’t have to go to work today and therefore, not subjected to the uncomfortable ride on the GO, I thought it fitting to list some indiosyncracies that people who ride GO have. Some of these quirks and habits are traits of every form of public transit but I think there will be some unique to the GO trains (at least unique to the GTA).

I shall start with some very common and quite ordinary practices witnessed on public transit. The people that mind their own business by sleeping, reading, quietly listen to music or quietly engage in conversation with a friend. These traits are very boring but are very good qualities to have (unfortunately some days they are quite rare).

All the aforementioned traits have evolved into less than ideal qualities. The generally quiet task of reading a newspaper can create more noise than some conversations and we all know about those who like their music at ear splitting volumes (I fall into this category sometimes when I need to drown out the LOP’s). The LOP’s are short for the loud obnoxious people. These people think that every single person in the train car wants to hear every word they say, as if they alone know the best movies to see, places to visit or the best way to get rid of transients or their views on anything else the mindnumbing free papers see fit to print.

I shall finally end this stupid post with a couple unique traits of the GO train. These two unique traits of riders are known as the ‘runners’ and the ‘walkers’. I have never followed the ‘runners’ philosophy but I must admit I do follow the ‘walkers’ method from time to time. The runners are those riders who line up at the door before their stop so they can be the first ones out. Once out these people run towards their car in hopes of avoiding the parking lot mayhem. Just imagine this for a minute now. Business people in suits, dresses and skirts trying to run in heels with bags or briefcases floundering at their sides. This phenomenon is actually quite amusing. The walkers are those who walk from car to car to get closer to an exit on the platform.

I hope I have added some humour to your day without making you dread the ride home or back to work the next day.

No comments: